Provides assistance to physicians, anesthesiologists, and staff in performing physiological monitoring, auto transfusion services, point of care, laboratory testing, and assist during intubation and line placement. Responsible for care, cleaning, and handling anesthesia equipment.
Provides assistance to physicians, anesthesiologists, and staff in performing physiological monitoring, auto transfusion services, point of care, laboratory testing, and assist during intubation and line placement. Responsible for care, cleaning, and handling anesthesia equipment. Coordination of care for patients requiring cardiopulmonary monitoring and provides anesthesia support services. Maintains supplies for processes. Takes inventory, orders and stocks anesthesia carts. Supports the mission of Perioperative Services Division by being an image of professionalism through communication, appearance and conduct. Maintains a working knowledge of departmental and hospital standards, policies and procedures. Performs other duties assigned.
Job Status: Full Time
- In collaboration with the anesthesia provider(s) is involved with the anesthesia plan of care.
- Considering age related needs, performs patient care activities, within the scope of practice. As a member of the anesthesia care team, assists with direct patient care for adolescent, adult, and geriatric patient.
- Working with minimal supervision, daily responsibilities include, but are not limited to the setup, application and assistance of invasive and non-invasive hemodynamic monitoring, induction of anesthesia for general/regional & local anesthesia, fiberoptic intubation, provide cricoid pressure, insertion of routine & difficult venipuncture, positioning of patient for surgery, anesthesia blocks, and emergency C-sections in labor & deliver.
- Responds to emergent codes and situations throughout the hospital.
- Assembles anesthesia airway set up. Prepares machine for malignant hyperthermia & latex allergy when needed.
- Utilizing sterile technique, sets up and assists with placement of invasive monitoring equipment in routine and emergency situations, including but not limited too: arterial line, central venous pressure line, PA catheter, cardiac output and other monitoring adjuncts.
- Assists with obtaining lab specimens and ABG's. Is competent in the use of & quality assurance for Point of Care testing equipment.
- Coordinates patient monitoring equipment availability with PACU and Critical Care units.
- Works with perioperative team to facilitate a prompt room turnover.
- Assembles anesthesia equipment and supplies needed for general/regional/local anesthesia.
- Assists anesthesia provider with patient preparation, electrode placement, use of ultrasound/nerve stimulator devices, and performs mechanical task of pressing syringe plunger, as directed by the anesthesia provider, to instill medication during regional blocks.
- Removes and appropriately disposes of supplies and equipment following procedures done by the anesthesia provider.
- Operates cell salvaging, intra-aortic balloon pumping and TEE devices as required.
- Performs cleaning, sterilization and decontamination of all non-disposable anesthesia related items.
- Considers budget while maintaining sufficient stock, and reviews for outdates, supplies and non-scheduled drugs in the anesthesia workroom, machines, carts, and auxiliary anesthetizing locations.
- Has understanding of medications commonly used in anesthesia including; purpose, proper storage, generic and proprietary names and labeling requirements.
- Coordinates with Pharmacy for out of stock drugs.
- Utilizes working knowledge and operation of all equipment and monitors.
- Performs routine checkout and upkeep of anesthesia equipment, inspects for damages and sends for repair or troubleshoots as needed.
- Coordinates with Biomedical Engineering for maintenance and repair of anesthesia equipment and ensures adequate back-up of equipment at all times.
- Maintains & outdates supplies in emergency carts and boxes, such as code blue, malignant hyperthermia, fluid resuscitation/code purple, and fiberoptic/difficult airway.
- Assures a clean, orderly and functional work environment.
- Clinical Care: Ensure that quality patient care is delivered to all patients on a 24-hour basis, and the unit is maintained in accordance with professional and regulatory standards and the philosophy and goals of Hoag.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education, Training and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Knowledge of medical terminology and supplies.
- Basic computer skills.
- BLS certification.
- Current national credential as a Certified Anesthesia Technician (Cert AT) through the American Society of Anesthesia Technicians and Technologists or competition of LVN program.
- One year plus of experience in a role within peri-operative services.
Skills or Other Qualifications
- Skilled in invasive hemodynamic monitoring.
- Advanced skills in Intra Operative Auto transfusion.
- Advanced skills in invasive hemodynamic monitoring, insertion, removal, transportation and monitoring of Intra Aortic Balloon Pump (IAPB).
- Demonstrates effective communication, interpersonal skills, organizational ability, knowledge of proper body mechanics, safety measures and infection control, ability to follow instructions, knowledge of age of population served, and additional skills and knowledge of equipment may be required for hire into some patient care departments.
- Advanced skills in Intra Operative Auto transfusion and Plasma Sequestration and Arterial Blood Gas Interpretation.
License and Certifications
- Certified Anesthesia Technician/Technologist designated by the American Society of Anesthesia Technologists & Technicians (ASATT) or Registered Respiratory Therapist/RT Licensure or LVN license.
- Advanced & Basic Cardiac Life Support.
- Valid ACLS & BCLS Provider Card.
- IV Certification.
Job Application URL: https://career4.successfactors.com/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=65868&company=Hoag