Position Statement for Anesthesia Technical Coverage
The mission of the American Society of Anesthesia Technologists and Technicians (ASATT) is to establish a professional entity for the field of anesthesia technology that will positively affect healthcare and quality standards by raising the standards of patient care and by providing a safe and positive environment. With the growing number of complex surgical cases, off site procedures requiring Deep Sedation & General Anesthesia and advanced technology, there is added pressure on the healthcare system to provide skilled technical staff with specialized knowledge in anesthesia technology.
Founded on ASATT’s Standards and Scope of Practice, to assist hospitals in determining a ratio for Certified Technologists/Technicians per room. ASATT has recommended for Certified Technologists/Technicians per room coverage is as follows:
- General Anesthesia: One (1) per three (3) rooms.
- Teaching Facilities with Anesthesia Residents/CRNA students: One (1) per four (4) rooms.
- Cardiovascular Anesthesia: One (1) per room.
- Liver transplant: One (1) per room.
- Offsite procedures – MRI, IMRI, GI Services, Radiology, Cardiac Catherization Lab: One (1) per one (1) area.
- Outpatient/Ambulatory Services: One (1) per four (4) rooms during working hours.
Additionally, the Society recognizes staffing needs according to anesthesia acuity levels and patient needs. Therefore, anesthesia providers should adjust their staffing needs accordingly. Example: patient that requires advanced airway protection have priority over a MAC patient.
Level 1 Trauma centers provide in house technical coverage 24/7, 365 days a year.
Level 2 Centers provide in house technical coverage 16 hours/five days a week and on call coverage for off hours and weekends.
Level 3 Centers provide in house technical coverage 12 hours/5 days a week and on call coverage for off hours and weekends.